All women, whether single or married, sometime or other find themselves driving alone, at times late at night, be it for business or pleasure, for picking up kids or just running errands.
And unfortunately women have to be more vigilant while driving alone, as they can fall prey to crimes like sexual assault, carjacking, robbery or worse. Here are some tips to stay safe while driving alone.
Be careful while parking
- If you are parking on a street find a spot that is well-lit.
- Avoid parking in areas where very few vehicles are parked. Always look out for crowded areas.
- Lock your car properly.
Keep your keys handy
- Finding keys in your handbag will give the criminal extra time to pull off the crime. So always keep your keys handy.
- If possible attach a pepper spray canister to your keychain.
Avoid playing Good Samaritan
- If you are driving alone in a remote location, do not stop for a lone man or even a couple, even if you see their car broken down.
- And if you really want to help them, call 911 from your cell phone or inform at the nearest gas station.
Avoid pulling over for an unmarked police car
- Not all policemen are reliable, so if you think an officer looks suspicious don’t stop. To be safe call 911 and ask the local police authority if there are any unmarked police cars patrolling in that area.
- Ask the office to show his official identity card. Don’t rely on official looking hats and badges, as they can be bought from any local store.
- Make sure the officer is in uniform and that his uniform parts match. The Police department, sometimes, do use unmarked cars, but they rarely send their patrolling staff in plainclothes.
Always inform someone where you’re going
- It is always safe to let someone know where you’re heading, even if it is a short trip.
- Always have a back-up person who can inform the police in case you fail to return at the scheduled time.
Keep your car well serviced
- Always check if you have enough gas in your car. You don’t want to be stuck up in the middle of nowhere with an empty tank.
- Check the car batteries routinely.
- Flat tires can make you vulnerable, so check your tires regularly/